Buyer's fees, security problems and online auctions

Having bought countless live in person units at auctions and then eventually trying one online I’m quite disappointed. The unit I won online through here was at a facility that I had bought several units from in the past live in person before they switched to the online service. What I’ve discovered here is that you see a lot less detail online versus standing at the door, the units tend to go for a lot more money than they would in person and the buyer’s fee of 15% seems outrageous. On top of this I’ve already heard rumors in my local area about the previous owners of the unit having friends and family members schill bid online to drive their price up. This makes sense as in my state the law states that the facility is required to return additonal funds from the auction to the tennant after they cover their lost rental and admin fees. The current unit I’m watching has in less than 24 hours gone up over a thousand dollars with more than 16 days left on the auction…this is absolutely crazy. Yes it’s a nice looking unit however this system seems to have another vulnerability of people who are watching and bidding on units who really have no intention to buy it. The other problems I would like to see fixed is that this site is allowing facilities to make a cash only payment requirement on site. Most facilities these days doing live in person auctions allow credit or debit card purchases which Bid 13 should require from the facilities since the prices of decent units are skyrocketing because of the easy potential of schill bidding and friends and family bids as well as the guy in the basement at home just bidding up prices for the mere enjoymnet of it with no intention of winning it. 15% fee should be paid by the facility/seller not the guy buying a $2,000 unit which of course leaves him with an extra $500 they need to come up to cover the fee and the deposit…out of control expenses on the units that appear to look good on the video. I’ve only bought one unit online and that was two years ago, the experience was bad enough I haven’t considered it again unitl I recently saw a good unit that I’m have to stop bidding on now because of the high price and the cash only requirment. My thoughts though and suggestion, figure out how to close the hole on schill bidders and the internet trolls just bidding prices up and for PETE"S SAKE stop charging a buyers fee and charge the seller instead like every other auction in the world.

2 Likes