What is your best storage auction find?

Tell us about the best item you have found in a storage auction? How much did you make selling the item? How much did you pay for the unit?

1 Like

This is what I found in my last aution.
Large Table with 4 leaves, 8 chairs including 2 captain’s chairs, Buffet, Hutch and Server. All in brand new condition, nicely packed. Looking around at prices, I’m estimating the value at about $6,500 conservatively.
In the save unit were 2 hand made Persian Rugs that I had valued at $4,500 for the pair
4 Humidors full of Cuban cigars that I had valued at about $5,000
Plus numerous other items from fine china, to crystal glasses, art work, many fitness items, tennis and squash, golf items, 2 Armoires, telephone system, etc, etc, etc… Probably about $25,000 worth of stuff total! Regrettably the wife is interested in keeping the dining room set, the rugs and a lot of the exercise equipment. I’m still in the process of sorting and listing items for sale. I’ve already made my money back for the unit (about $400 all in), hopefully I can sell a bunch of things quickly and move on to a new unit as this is all taking up a lot of room in my house right now.

3 Likes

What is my best storage locker find…well that depends on if you are talking about value, unique or most unusual. Every locker is a new treasure and experience in itself. Some units are a pretty easy read based on the contents you can see from the door before you buy them. But experience has taught me to check pockets, shake out magazines and books and even dig through the garbage bags. Not that all the little things are of great value, but they do add to the overall profit of the unit. I have also found things packed in the strangest places! China packed in with garage items, jewellery in bags of kids clothing or in a sock, collectable knives in the bottom of a box of papers. One of my more recent best single find in a locker was a professional grade tool cabinet full of tools. $5200 profit on a $800 unit on that item alone. In another unit that I purchased for the shelving itself I found over $30 000 in electrical test equipment, tools and servo motors, but those are still selling in my ebay store and may take years for the return to come in.
Just a word of advise to people new to the scene, don’t get caught up in the “numbers” you see some people claim, especially on TV or even in the comments section on here. There is usually quite a difference between what people appraise things for or think they are worth and what they can or actually sell for. Many people place new retail prices on everything they see, when in reality no one is going to pay you retail for a used or even a new item still in retail packaging. And not every locker posted for sale is a “winner”, use your best judgement and happy bidding.

6 Likes

My last auction, found Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris baseball cards, the unit prior to that was 3 oak secretary’s, Dr, Medicine Cabinet, and other antiques. The one prior to those 2 was a purse full of diamond rings, and gold necklaces including 14k pendents. I bought 3 units not all at once. One in October, one in December and one in February. Total Cost is $520.00 for all three. I don’t put a price on anything, until there sold. But I did appraised the rings only. They were about 5200$. I did not check on the necklaces or the pendents.
Jim

1 Like

More along the lines of what Lockerboss posted here, speaking from some experience, a ring appraised for 5200$ is not worth 5200$. That might be what insurance will pay, but the reality is, you will be lucky to get melt value on the gold. I had a diamond ring from a locker appraised at 1800$. I was lucky to get 400$ for it. Melt value was even less then that. Most places buying silver and gold, could care less about the diamonds. They want the gold. I wouldn’t bother paying a jeweler to appraise your rings etc. That costs a bunch of money that you will likely never see back.

2 Likes

My latest and only storage auction I purchased through this site was great! I paid $154 total on both units. I found $250 cash, various Canadian currency as we’ll, a gold bullion that I got $650 cash for the same day, plus had a garage sale on misc furniture and garage sale stuff and made another $500… Not a bad turn around. Just wish I had a truck and trailor because i’de like to buy units out of my state withought spending a fortune on a rental… Luckily the 2 units I purchased we’re close to home…

3 Likes

Hi fellow hunters. I myself have only bought one locker before and that was by live auction in a town not far from my home. I payed $100.00 for it. It had belonged to a contractor so was mostly tools and painting supplies. I did get my $100.00 back out of it plus made another $100.00 approximately in profit from selling tools from it. I also kept some tools for my own use. It was nothing too exciting but still interesting. I did find nearly $20.00 in Canadian Tire money and another $7.00 in empty beer cans which I returned for deposit.

3 Likes

I love buying lockers and finding treasure, my best locker which I paid $94.00 for 5x10 which was filled with Nike,Jordan all authentic and new, some had receipts in them still. The best part was a pair of high top Gucci Shoes brand new with reciepts box, covers and bag. Kept the Gucci’s sold everything else made just over $2,000 in profit

4 Likes

The most interesting.

1920 s ships compass.

1 Like

Hey, i’m interested in those mac toolboxes if you haven’t sold them yet. I’m down in Nanaimo. Got any pics? how much do you want?

1 Like

Here is my email address
Puzzel1456@hotmail.com

I’m going to post the image here because Puzzel1456 meant to post it but sent it to us by accident. This is that 1920s Ships compass. Pretty friggin cool if you ask me!

7 Likes

Cool for sure. There is a 20 character minimum so I’ll say it again - Cool for sure.

I once found 50 cases of spam. Ended up donating it all to a food bank. Pic related:

5 Likes

@Adrian1 Dude, that’s just weird. Why would someone store so much spam???

1 Like

@deweydb I’m not sure man, i think he was some kinda doomsday prepper. I found a lot of other strange things like that, like a box of iodine tablets, etc.

1 Like

Beats eating it. Lol

Yes sorry thanks still learning how the site works, since I’ve been a member long before Canadian storage wars ever aired…

How’d that go? Merry Christmas