What are your tips for first-time bidders?

Hello, Storage Hunters! :relaxed:

We’re going to make a blog post for first-time bidders and for those who are curious yet hesitant of storage auctions. :wink:

What are some tips you can give out to those who are planning to start bidding/storage digger novice and to those who are currently clueless about the storage auction game?

Do you guys look for dust on items? tamper locks? What defines a great unit? Do you pay more attention to the video or the photos?

Thank you :grin:

One piece of advice I heard and I think is the best advice is - Only bid on what you can see. Not what you think might be there.

1 Like

Really great advice!

Thats a good advice
Plus the first time bidders get too exited for what they see on tv
i do follow what i see only or what i really need if it exist in that locker

2 Likes

Exactly Manuel, I think some television shows have created an unrealistic expectation of what is actually in these units. That’s not to say there arnt sometimes spectacular finds but this is the exception, not the rule. When you see some of these shows it would be easy to think that every unit is filled with gold bars, shoe boxes filled with cash and fabergie eggs. In reality what you are getting in most cases is furniture, small household items and appliances. Also lots of paperwork and books. Just the kind of things most of us have in our homes.

1 Like

Yup, reality TV gives consumers a good but fake impression of storage auctions. They love to filter the process and focus on the good finds. Not really that realistic, huh?

1 Like

The more dust on the tops of things the better. I figure, if someone has been paying on the contents for years there is probably something of value there (although I did get one unit with nothing but personal items that had no resale value).
Also, I look for a unit that has been packed with some care - totes and boxes mostly (kinda a no-brainer).
I hate seeing garbage bags full of stuff.