Lets talk about guns

Hey there diggers,

Have you ever won a gun at a storage auction? What did you end up doing with it? Did you have to involve the local police? How did you go about selling it?

Tell us your stories, good or bad. Share your experiences with the rest of us.

Thanks!

1 Like

I have found numerous firearms in lockers. After you have the firearm checked by your local police, and as long as you have the proper firearms licence, you can keep or resell the firearm to someone else that also has the proper firearms licence. Depending on the auctioneer at a live auction and the auctioneer knows there is a firearm in the unit, the auctioneer may take it to the the nearest RCMP or police station to have it checked out to ensure that it has not been stolen or possibly used in a crime and you can pick it up after that. Online auctions or other live auctions where you find a firearm in the unit leaves the responsibility on the buyer of the unit to take the firearm to the nearest police station to have it checked. If you do NOT have a firearms licence I suggest you call the police and have them come to the unit to take possession of the firearm as some agencies aren’t too forgiving of someone walking into a police station or transporting a firearm that they do not have a licence to be in possession of. And likewise even if you do have a licence, go into the station and have an officer come take possession of the firearm from your vehicle…its the safest way to do it. Or if you have never dealt with them before, call them to see if they wish to come to the unit to take possession of it, but in most cases they will ask you to bring it to them due to available manpower.
So in a nutshell as long as you have a firearms licence for the class of firearm you find and have it cleared by the local police station you can keep the firearm or sell it to someone else that also holds a proper firearms licence.
Happy bidding and good luck. And just as a side note, I have found a lot more empty gun safes and cases then I have found firearms, so don’t get too excited when you see a safe or case in the unit :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m new to this site and have only bought one locker before and that was by live auction. Am now waiting for a suitable locker in my area to come up here before I participate in the bidding. My question is this - If I am the successful bidder on one of these things and do come across a firearm can I give it to a freind who had all the necessary papers and licenses. I myself do not and am not interested in going through all the rigamarole of acquiring them just on the off chance that I will find a firearm. I would much sooner give the item to a freind then turn it over to police. I am in Ontario Canada. If I had my Freind with the license meet me there and police come at the same time would there be a problem turning the item over to my freind? Just curious as to whether any of you more seasoned locker veterans have had this issue and how it worked out for you.

You will get all kinds of advice on this, but there are numerous mitigating factors and also quite dependant on what class of firearm you discover. I would suggest you Contact a Chief Firearms Officer 1 800-731-4000 for the correct answer.

2 Likes

Have we mentioned how much we love you? Thanks for the reply lockerboss you da man!

2 Likes

Thank you Locker boss! The telephone number you places in your reply will no doubt come in handy if I ever encounter this situation. Most appreciated. Cool name by the way Locker boss.

Now you are just trying to butter me up :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you look back at a few of my other posts in the forum you will see my thoughts on finding firearms in units. I have found a few decent firearms over the years, but don’t bank on finding many, even if the unit screams “outdoorsman” or “hunter”. I have however found a lot of empty gun cabinets and cases. Another thing you will need to be aware of is that some storage facilities make you sign a waiver stating that you will surrender all firearms found to the police, to the point of requesting you provide the facility with a police file number to prove that you did so. I won’t share my thoughts or opinion on that here.

won a 22, gave it to my boys for christmas

1 Like