Can we just give nubbies the truth!

Here It is boys and girls, WHEN YOU BUY STORAGE LOCKERS especially big ones you get garbage !!! and lots of it!! you are literally taking someones life home or at least part of of! Be prepared IT TAKE US UP ALOT OF ROOM I have only bought 4 units so far but the GARBAGE is over welling YES EVEN IN THE NICE PACKED ONES! Some times hours of driving, truck rentals, and labor (my god the work, loading, unloading , sorting, cleanup!!!) is it worth the $200 you spent then the $400 for the truck to get it home , then the loading , unloading, sorting and the room!! If you don’t do the math then all your doing is paying top dollar to bring a truck load of YARD SALE items home! BE CAREFUL MY FOLLOW BIDDERS!! Do whats right leave it to the storage units to finish the job! If its not worth the door pic, why buy it? your forever getting your money back and do you wanna or have space to store it!!

Stickerman, you and the newbies should check out my posts in the “tips for bidding on storage lockers” section. I have only posted a few posts, but more are coming. Might be some useful tips in there for someone.

1 Like

Run an ad on Craigslist. Pay someone $50-$100 (depending on what you have) to haul the trash away. In all the lockers I have purchased there has only been one I needed to do this with but it sure did save me time and money. It cost me $100 to have a truck and trailer of trash hauled away. The guys kept some of the items I would have thrown out and were thrilled with this arrangement. If you leave it to the storage facility to clean it up you will be blocked from bidding again!!
The one I purchased last week had more papers (old mail, computer print out etc) then I have ever seen. But it was mixed in with all the papers were a number of large collections including but not limited to coca cola, NASCAR, 1960-1970 trading cards, vinyl etc.
My rule of thumb is I add up the value I can see and add 50% to that number that is my top bid. I am sure I have missed out on some good ones but I have also saved myself from buying some dogs!
Bid with your calculator not your heart!!
Good luck on your future bids!!

1 Like

You heard of buyer beware? Since the storage wars, storage hunters, and others came out. Quite a lot of people that are not working, unemployed, or just laid off…Thinking they can make a quick dollar by dropping a couple of C Notes, and making 2-3,000 dollars without much work or hassle. Years ago, you were able to get units for 10-50 for really good ones. Now it’s anywhere from 300-1000 dollars. People need to look at this as a business, you might not be registered but treat it as such anyway. Size and Cost of the unit, the amount of “junk” you see. The demographics of the area, weather, competitors, Cash, CC & Check, Is the facility trustworthy? By going to certain facilities you will also have different clientele. Similar to having “art shows”. You take the same amount of work and set-up to a small show vs a show with prestige. You won’t find the same people there at both of them.
I will explain later the difference why I only choose cash only facilities rather then all three.
jim

I won a unit today , And I it had to be staged, Had a table and chairs made it look like nice stuff , Well once past the chairs it was all garbage.

I mean it didn’t make sense. The decor did not match , It was odd piece of ripped or trashed furniture.

Who would store 1 nice table and chairs and then have 200 sq feet of garbage. mis match parts , everything was ripped or broken.

honestly made me sick to my stomach. I have worked for moving company’s and never seen a unit like this.

Who would store 2 ripped trashed couches, broken dresser beyond repair , 2 old tube tv’s that do not work. A hutch with no bottom .

I mean everything was wrecked. My opinion is the storage place took all the garbage that was left , Piled it in a locker , Put a table and chairs in the front to make it look legit and put it up for auction.

I assume nothing I can do as its buyer’s beware, But I feel Iwas scammed.

I know the unit because you where bidding against me glad I let it go , but yet I feel sorry for your loss , I bought one a month ago in lindsey and got run up it was a mountain of garbage 10x15 but did it right cleaned it out and counted my losses, we all have bad and good lets just try and keep prices down you can see the profit (low end) then go from there its a gamble . BID SMART!

You got it Stickerman,

I take it as a lesson learned , after all my expenses I figured it cost me around $1300. The table is nice but missing screws. Other than that it cost me $80 at the dump for all the broken trashed furniture and garbage.

We should all get together and designate days for each other to bid, and keep the prices down lol.

How ever I will never go back to that storage Facility as I feel in my gut it was set up by them.

The guy even told me he just started working there and didn’t know anything about auctions , But he was in the video taking pic’s and he shook like a leaf while talking to me.

News for the “nubbies” Don’t bite off more than you can chew. I’m kind of/sort of new to this but I’m having a great time. It is a fine line ot cross going through other people’s lives. Personal papers & pictures. I try to return them, I mean!! What do I want with a picture of great grandmother holding a newborn, these are priceless but not to me. So I try to protect & return.
I never bid on a unit before I decide if I can really afford it & how I will get it home. I mean do not by any means bid on a unit with your electric bill thinking you will make it back +$$$
I’m enjoying what I’m doing, My husband is a jack of all trades & a master too. He can fix replace repair & you’ll never know the difference.
We’re retired with some not major but some health issues & this is great to work as you need to. I mean after all the old saying if you like what you do then you never work a day in your life. So be careful, be kind, have a heart & enjoy yourself.

3 Likes